Windows Vista was an awesome looking OS for its time when it was released in the year 2006. The most particular feature of this appeal was the Aero theme. For those who don’t know the Aero glass was a nice combination of transparent borders and glass-like reflections for each window on the screen. This effects looked very nice for the computers which could handle the overhead, of course. Windows 7 continued the use this theme, but with minor adjustments regarding the performance and addition of some more visual effects.
After the release of Windows 8 and further, Microsoft solely discarded the aero glass effects with all versions of Windows. Now in Windows 8.x, 10 and possibly in the future, there is no native way to enable the aero theme. In this article, I’ll be using a utility called Aero Glass for Windows 8 (works for Windows 10 also) which enables the transparency in title bars and some other sweet visual effects in Windows 10.
Enabling Aero Theme in Windows 10 with Aero Glass
The whole process of enabling the aero theme is very easy. You just have to download and install the Aero glass app on your Windows machine and it will enable all the features aero without any intervention on your part.
- Head over to the Glass8’s official website and click on the download section.
- You will need to download the latest exe file for Aero Glass app depending on the version of Windows you are using. Currently (at the time of writing) there are two main versions of the app are available. One for Windows 8 and the other one for 8.1 and further.
- If you are running Windows 8, click on the download link after the heading “Aero Glass for Win8 v3.1“. For Windows 10, select the download link below the “Aero Glass for Windows 8.1 + v1.4.5” heading. Let the download complete.
- After the download is complete, open the exe file that you just downloaded. It will look something like this:
- Click on Next to proceed to the Licence agreement screen. Click on the I accept the agreement radio button and then click Next.
- Let the Install location remain as-is and click on Next.
- After clicking on Next, you will be greeted with the Additional tasks selection screen. Here you can set the installer to install the aero glass theme along with enabling this theme for Modern apps. If you are using an admin account, check the “Protect Aero Glass by adjusting access permissions” box. Click Next.
- The next screen is just generic, click on Install. This will install and automatically enable all the required themes and options for the theme.
Here is a screencap of notepad with some text written in it. Take note of how the title bar looks along with the buttons on the top right.
Now every window in will show with flat but colorful buttons along with semi-transparent title bars. It will look something like below.
The color of the title bar and the buttons depends on what kind of Wallpapers you have set up for your Desktop and the theme applied before the installation. As you can see, the glass theme is enabled and the minimize, expand and close buttons are very dominating the whole title bar. You can also customize almost every aspect of this theme with a few registry tweaks. There is an official guide available on their website.