Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War – Freezing and Stuttering Fix: Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War is one of the most anticipated titles of this year, the game is expected to do really well for Activision similar to every COD title. The game has finally released, along with the release we’ve encountered a huge number of bugs that are running the gaming experience for everyone.
Similar to every AAA title, Black Ops Cold War also suffers from performance-related issues. People have started complaining about the same on the forums and Reddit threads. Developers are actively looking into the issues and should be pushing out patches to fix them shortly. Until then, you can use this article to fix your problems for a while.
Black Ops: Cold War – Freezing and Stuttering Fix
Tone Down Game Settings
The general rule of thumb for every game is if you are lagging it is always recommended to tone down the settings. Play around a little bit with the settings, turn down shadows and textures, this should help.
Update Device Drivers
Whenever a new game makes it’s arrival, especially when it’s a AAA title, Nvidia is known for pushing their optimized updates for the best performance with their graphic cards. I am not sure about AMD because I’ve never used an AMD card. Below are the links for downloading the latest drivers.
Update: Nvidia has already released a full-fledged optimization update for this game. You can fire up Geforce experience and get the update right away.
Disable Full-Screen Optimization & High DPI in Windows 10
Full-screen optimization and DPI settings come pre-configured with Windows 10. These are known for causing trouble with games leading to several issues. To disable:
- Locate the game installation
- Find the .exe file of the game
- Right-click > Properties > Compatibility Tab
- Tick the “Disable Full-Screen Optimizations” tab
- Now, click the “Change high DPI settings” button
- Tick “Override high DPI scaling behaviour” and select “Application” from the drop-down menu
- Save Settings.
The recent couple updates were weird and broke a lot of games, to fix those issues, Windows has already pushed out hotfixes and you can download them right away. If you are running an older version of Windows, I’d recommend you to download the updated version.
There was also an update that caused windows to use up a lot of RAM for its search bar’s function called Cortana. This also has been fixed, you just have to update.
The tweaks given above should be able to fix your issue, but if for some reason you are still having problems head here and report it to the devs.
These four things should help you if you are facing stuttering and freezing issues in Black Ops Cold War. One thing everyone should know is that BOCW is a very demanding game, you need good hardware to run it well. If not, then you will have to compromise in terms of graphics and overall experience.
Change Graphic Card Settings
Below are the settings for AMD and Nvidia graphics card users, apply these settings for the best performance.
For Nvidia Users
- Open up Nvidia’s Control Panel. Right-click on desktop > click Nvidia control panel
- Click Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings
- Find “Yakuza Like a Dragon”, you can manually add the game if it’s not in the list
- Now, make the following changes:
Monitor Tech: G-Sync (If available)
Maximum Pre-rendered frames: 2
Threaded optimization: On
Power Management: Prefer Maximum Performance
Texture Filtering – Quality: Performance
For AMD Users
- Anti-Aliasing Mode: Use Application settings
- Anti-aliasing Method: Multisampling
- Morphological Filtering: Off
- Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Use application settings
- Texture Filtering Quality: Performance
- Surface Format Optimization: On
- Wait for V-sync: Off
- OpenGL Triple Buffering: Off
- Shader Cache: AMD optimized
- Tesselation Mode: Override application settings
- Maximum Tesselation Level: Off
- GPU Workload: Graphics
- Chill: Off
- Frame Rate Target Control: Disabled
These settings should be good enough for you. Try tweaking a bit with the priority of the application, this also tends to give a little FPS boost.
That’s all for fixing Cold War Freezing and Stuttering issues.