Last Updated on December 10, 2020
Fix Cyberpunk 2077 Freezing and Stuttering: If you are facing issues such as freezing and stuttering in Cyberpunk 2077 then this guide will help you out.
Cyberpunk 2077 is a title that needs no introduction, everyone in the gaming world knows about this title from CD Projekt Red. The main reason why everyone has high hopes from this game is the game is built by the same studios behind the Witcher 3. The game has been in the works since 2012, there have been numerous delays, the release date has been pushed a bunch of times already. However, the day has come, the game is finally released.
Similar to every AAA title, this game is not free from problems. Initial reviews and impressions have detailed that there are issues in the game, bugs, and weird things that we’ll report as we’ll find out. Problems aren’t exactly new for AAA titles, problems are known to arise since developers can’t test the games on a huge set of machines. The configuration of every PC is so different that the developers cannot actually test everything. That’s why developers take reports and push patches in the following days.
How To Fix Cyberpunk 2077 Freezing and Stuttering
Tone Down Game Settings
The general rule of thumb for every game is if you are lagging it is always recommended to tone down the settings. Play around a little bit with the settings, turn down shadows and textures, this should help.
Update Device Drivers
Whenever a new game makes it’s arrival, especially when it’s a AAA title, Nvidia is known for pushing their optimized updates for the best performance with their graphic cards. I am not sure about AMD because I’ve never used an AMD card. Below are the links for downloading the latest drivers.
Update: Nvidia has already released a full-fledged optimization update for this game. You can fire up Geforce experience and get the update right away.
Disable Full-Screen Optimization & High DPI in Windows 10
Full-screen optimization and DPI settings come pre-configured with Windows 10. These are known for causing trouble with games leading to several issues. To disable:
- Locate the game installation
- Find the .exe file of the game
- Right-click > Properties > Compatibility Tab
- Tick the “Disable Full-Screen Optimizations” tab
- Now, click the “Change high DPI settings” button
- Tick “Override high DPI scaling behavior” and select “Application” from the drop-down menu
- Save Settings.
The recent couple updates were weird and broke a lot of games, to fix those issues, Windows has already pushed out hotfixes and you can download them right away. If you are running an older version of Windows, I’d recommend you to download the updated version.
There was also an update that caused windows to use up a lot of RAM for its search bar’s function called Cortana. This also has been fixed, you just have to update.
The tweaks given above should be able to fix your issue, but if for some reason you are still having problems head here and report it to the devs.
These four things should help you if you are facing stuttering and freezing issues in Cyberpunk 2077. One thing everyone should know is that Cyberpunk is a very demanding game, you need good hardware to run it well. If not, then you will have to compromise in terms of graphics and overall experience.
Change Graphic Card Settings
Below are the settings for AMD and Nvidia graphics card users, apply these settings for the best performance.
For Nvidia Users
- Open up Nvidia’s Control Panel. Right-click on desktop > click Nvidia control panel
- Click Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings
- Find “Cyberpunk 2077”, you can manually add the game if it’s not in the list
- Now, make the following changes:
Monitor Tech: G-Sync (If available)
Maximum Pre-rendered frames: 2
Threaded optimization: On
Power Management: Prefer Maximum Performance
Texture Filtering – Quality: Performance
For AMD Users
- Anti-Aliasing Mode: Use Application settings
- Anti-aliasing Method: Multisampling
- Morphological Filtering: Off
- Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Use application settings
- Texture Filtering Quality: Performance
- Surface Format Optimization: On
- Wait for V-sync: Off
- OpenGL Triple Buffering: Off
- Shader Cache: AMD optimized
- Tesselation Mode: Override application settings
- Maximum Tesselation Level: Off
- GPU Workload: Graphics
- Chill: Off
- Frame Rate Target Control: Disabled
These settings should be good enough for you. Try tweaking a bit with the priority of the application, this also tends to give a little FPS boost.
That’s all for fixing Cyberpunk 2077 Freezing and Stuttering issues.