Last Updated on February 10, 2023
Hogwarts Legacy Slow Download: The game just came out, and even after pre-loading the files, I was stuck in another loop of downloading and patching. This is very frustrating when a new game comes out, and you cannot play it due to a small problem.
In this article, I have written about a few tweaks that have helped me solve download issues on launch days. This also worked for Hogwarts Legacy.
Download Stuck Issue – Why is it happening?
There can be two reasons why your download could be stuck.
- Your game files are being patched; if you look closely, the download speed will be at 0, but your disk usage will be higher, which means your game is downloading just fine.
- You are using an old-school HDD: This can take a long time to complete. You might have to wait an hour if your installation is on an HDD. If you have an SSD available, you can install the game.
If you have confirmed that the installation is not progressing, restarting Steam or Battle Launcher might work for you.
To check if your game files are being patched: Launch task manager. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc and monitor the disk usage.
Fix For Steam Users
Game Stuck Unpacking?
As you can see in the image above, the download is actually stuck, but patching is in progress. Look at the disk usage numbers. If your disk usage number is very low and the time remaining is absurd, like 2-3 days. Then here’s a quick fix:
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam/steamapps and locate the “depotcache” folder.
- Delete everything inside the folder.
There can be multiple reasons why your download could be stuck. Your game files are being patched, if you look closely, the download speed will be at 0, but your disk usage will be higher; this means your game is downloading just fine. You need to wait.
This can take a long time to complete. You might have to wait an hour if your installation is on an HDD. If you have an SSD available, you can install the game.
If you have confirmed that the installation is not progressing, restarting Steam might work for you.
Fix for Slow Download Speed
You can try switching your download region from the Steam settings to fix this issue:
- Go to Steam Settings > Downloads Tab
- Under Download Region, try changing from US/Singapore
- Remove any download restrictions if there are any
These are all the things you can do if you face any problems. Comment below if you need any help.
Other Miscellaneous Fixes
Check Your Network Connection
Downloads, of course, need consistent connection. If not, you will face slowing downloading problems with every game launcher. There are two things that you can do to check this:
- Disconnect other devices from the network: Router Admin panels nowadays have a bandwidth monitor that can be used to find out what device is using the web. You can use this to find out any bandwidth-hogging devices and disconnect them temporarily.
- Restart Your Router: Restarting the router may be necessary if you’re experiencing issues with your internet connection. This is especially true if you have a wireless network or use Wi-Fi in your home.
Use a VPN
This is the last resort; sometimes routing is not perfect from your ISP’s end. This leads to lousy download speeds. A VPN can take care of this problem. You can choose any program of your liking.
Flush Your DNS
- Open the command prompt by pressing Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “cmd” into the Run dialog box and click OK.
- Type “ipconfig /flushdns” into the command prompt and press Enter.
Use Google DNS
Using Google DNS or any custom DNS can fix download troubles immediately. Lifewire has a great guide on the best free Public DNS you can use.
I hope this guide helped you; if not, you can comment below, and I will be happy to help you. For more guides on Hogwarts legacy, go to our guides section.