Last Updated on December 14, 2022
Modern Warfare 2 just came out, and you cannot download it due to the slow speed on Steam or Battle Launcher? This can be frustrating when you are excited to try out a new game, let’s find out how we can fix this.
Every year, millions of gamers eagerly await the release of the latest Call of Duty game. For many, it is the most anticipated event of the year. COD games are always highly anticipated, featuring cutting-edge graphics, new campaign missions, and best-ever gunplay mechanics. This year’s installment, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, is shaping up to be one of the best yet.
Read: How To Fix Crashing in MW2
When the campaign was released, Steam Servers started throwing time-out errors. The same thing has started to happen again. Modern Warfare 2 is one of the most anticipated titles of this year; so big that it has taken steam servers down twice.
If you are facing slow download issues on Steam/Battle.net or your download is stuck, this guide should help you.
Download Stuck Issue – Why is it happening?
There can be two reasons why your download could be stuck.
- Your game files are being patched; if you look closely, the download speed will be at 0, but your disk usage will be higher, which means your game is downloading just fine.
- You are using an old-school HDD: This can take a long time to complete. You might have to wait an hour if your installation is on an HDD. If you have an SSD available, you can install the game.
If you have confirmed that the installation is not progressing, restarting Steam or Battle Launcher might work for you.
To check if your game files are being patched: Launch task manager. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc and monitor the disk usage.
Fix Slow Download Speed
For Steam Users:
You can try switching your download region from the Steam settings to fix this issue:
- Go to Steam Settings > Downloads Tab
- Under Download Region, try changing from US/Singapore
- Remove any download restrictions if there are any
These are all the things you can do if you face any problems. Comment below if you need any help.
For Battle Launcher Users:
You won’t get full speeds if the Limit network bandwidth checkbox is ticked in Settings. To fix this:
- Launch Battle.net Launcher
- Click on the Battle Logo on the top left, and then go to settings
- Click on the Downloads Tab and locate the “Network Bandwidth” Section
- From here, untick the “Limit download bandwidth” checkbox as shown in the picture below:
- Click Done.
Once you have changed the settings, your download speeds will go up.
Still not getting the full download speed? – There may be some other issue that is leading to this. Continue reading to find out a few more fixes.
Other Miscellaneous Fixes
Check Your Network Connection
Downloads, of course, need consistent connection. If not, you will face slow downloading problems with every game launcher. There are two things that you can do to check this:
- Disconnect other devices from the network: Router Admin panels nowadays have a bandwidth monitor that can be used to find out what device is using the web. You can use this to find out any bandwidth-hogging devices and disconnect them temporarily.
- Restart Your Router: Restarting the router may be necessary if you’re experiencing issues with your internet connection. This is especially true if you have a wireless network or use Wi-Fi in your home.
Use a VPN
This is the last resort, sometimes routing is not perfect from your ISP’s end. This leads to lousy download speeds. A VPN can take care of this problem. You can choose any program of your liking.
Flush Your DNS
- Open the command prompt by pressing Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “cmd” into the Run dialog box and click OK.
- Type “ipconfig /flushdns” into the command prompt and press Enter.
Use Google DNS
Using Google DNS or any custom DNS can fix download troubles immediately. Lifewire has a great guide on the best free Public DNS you can use.
Read: Fix MW2 Won’t Launch
These were a few traditional tweaks that I used to fix my download speed on Steam. Changing DNS and Steam Server Location always does the job for me.
If you are looking for more Modern Warfare 2 guides head here. For more information you can read;