Last Updated on March 30, 2022
Fix FPS Drops in Wonderlands – Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands is here. As expected, the performance is not that great for everyone. People on forums and Reddit are reporting issues such as lag and FPS Drops. Every PC gamer is now used to these problems, at least on launch days. I am sure that developers delay titles and work hard, but most AAA devs have failed miserably for the last 2 to 3 years in terms of optimizations.
The lag and FPS drops bring back the memories of Borderlands 3, how horrendous the optimization was for that title on launch. Also, let’s not forget that both games have the same system requirements and use the same engine.
Note: If you are facing the desync issue on PC then there’s only one way to fix it. By using a VPN.
Please remember that these are basic tweaks that bring improvements to almost every PC Gaming title. If you still face problems after this, we recommend waiting for the developers to push an update.
How To Fix FPS Drops in Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands
Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands System Requirements
Gearbox recently published the system requirements for the game, let’s find out what they are:
Minimum System Requirements
- OS: Windows 10 (latest service pack)
- Processor: AMD FX-8350 (Intel i5-3570)
- Memory: 6GB RAM
- Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX470 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB)
- HDD: 75 GB
- DirectX: Version 11
Recommended System Requirements
- OS: Windows 10 (latest service pack)
- Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600 (Intel i7-4770)
- Memory: 16GB RAM
- Graphics Card: AMD Radeon™ RX 590 8GB (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB)
- HDD: 75 GB
- DirectX: Version 11
Don’t let the low system requirements fool you, they are exactly copy-pasted from BL3. I am not sure if that was intentional or maybe a mistake. Guess we will find out when the game launches. We will also publish another article covering settings for low-end computers.
Change DirectX API
Changing DirectX API from 12 to 11 has improved the performance for a lot of older PCs. However, on my computer, this didn’t work and my FPS which was locked at 144 dropped to 80-70.
You can try switching from 12 to 11 and check whether you find any improvements or not.
Change Graphic Control Panel Panel Settings
Here are a few tweaks for both Nvidia and AMD Users that will provide instantly boost your FPS in Wonderlands:
For Nvidia Users:
- Open up Nvidia’s Control Panel. Right-click on desktop > click Nvidia control panel
- Click Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings
- Find “Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands”, you can manually add the game if it’s not in the list
- Now, make the following changes:
Monitor Tech: G-Sync (If available)
Maximum Pre-rendered frames: 2
Threaded optimization: On
Power Management: Prefer Maximum Performance
Texture Filtering – Quality: Performance
Low Lateny Mode: Low (High or Ultra makes sense only for PvP Games)*
Nvidia Low Latency Mode is a feature that is found in Nvidia’s Control Panel. It is designed to help reduce input latency on Nvidia graphics cards systems. Low Latency Mode can be used in games or any other application where you need to reduce the amount of time it takes for your inputs to be registered.
For AMD Users
- Anti-Aliasing Mode: Use Application settings
- Anti-aliasing Method: Multisampling
- Morphological Filtering: Off
- Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Use application settings
- Texture Filtering Quality: Performance
- Surface Format Optimization: On
- Wait for V-sync: Off
- OpenGL Triple Buffering: Off
- Shader Cache: AMD optimized
- Tesselation Mode: Override application settings
- Maximum Tesselation Level: Off
- GPU Workload: Graphics
- Chill: Off
- Frame Rate Target Control: Disabled
Update Your Device Drivers
Do you wonder why you should update your graphic card drivers? It would be good to check on the new updates for two key reasons. Firstly, it’s the only way to ensure you have the latest drivers for your device. The more recent drivers will allow your computer to run every graphics-intensive application and keep up with any changes in technology without trailing too far behind.
Nvidia has already released a full-fledged update that delivers day-0 optimizations for Wonderlands. The Driver version is 512.15.
Enable or Disable Game Mode in Windows 10
The new game mode makes gaming on your computer even better. When playing a game in game mode, Windows prioritizes the game’s performance and gives it more of the computer’s resources. This means that the game will run faster and smoother, with less lag and fewer interruptions. The game mode also ensures that your computer’s performance won’t be impacted when you’re not playing a game.
To enable game mode, go to Settings > Gaming > Game Mode. Turn this off or no one by one and compare the performance.
Debloat Your Windows Installation
Debloating your Windows installation can speed it up in a number of ways. For one, by removing unnecessary apps, you reduce the amount of memory and CPU resources they consume. Additionally, many bloatware apps run in the background and consume network bandwidth; removing them frees up that capacity too. Finally, many bloatware apps are just plain slow and clunky; getting rid of them makes Windows faster and more responsive.
There are a few different ways to debloat Windows. One is to use a tool like Sycnex Script on GitHub; this utility scans your system for unnecessary programs and offers to remove them for you. Another option is to go through the Control Panel’s Programs and Features list and uninstall any programs you don’t need or want.
Syncnex can be used to remove:
- Misc Bloatware in Windows
- Disable Cortana
- Disable Edge PDF
- Uninstall OneDrive
- Disable Telemetry
Disable in-game overlays
If you are using Discord like me, then I’d recommend you change a few things. One such thing is, discord overlay, it’s not really something you need at all times. I use a two-monitor setup, so the overlay is useless for me. It is known for causing FPS-related issues.
Disable Hardware Acceleration in Discord
- Open Discord
- Click on User Settings > Appearance
- Click on the Hardware Acceleration radio, this will turn it off.
Disable in-game Discord Overlay
- Open Discord
- Go to Overlay under App Settings
- Click on the “Enable in-game overlay”, this will turn it off.
Windows Game Bar
- Click Start > Settings > Gaming
- On the Game Bar, set “Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar” to off.
- Now head to the Captures tab set the “Record the background while I’m playing a game” to Off.
- You can also test turning Game Mode on or off, one by one.
Increase Game Priority
This is an old-school method of boosting FPS in certain games; this only affects CPU relying Games.
- Press CTLR + Shift + ESC to open task manager
- Locate Wonderlands and right-click > go to details
- Now right-click on the process’s .exe file and set priority to “high”.
This will prioritize your game over other windows applications and provide you with a little boost.
The recent couple updates were weird and broke a lot of games, to fix those issues, Windows has already pushed out hotfixes and you can download them right away. If you are running an older version of Windows, I’d recommend you download the updated version.
There was also an update that caused windows to use up a lot of RAM for its search bar’s function called Cortana. This also has been fixed, you just have to update.
Why Should You Update Windows?
One of the main reasons to update Windows is for performance enhancements. With every new update, Microsoft improves the speed and efficiency of the operating system. For example, with the release of Windows 10, Microsoft made several changes to improve performance, including faster startup times and improved graphics processing.
Another reason to update Windows is for security enhancements. Each new update includes security patches and fixes that help protect your computer from malicious software and hackers. For example, the Windows 10 Anniversary Update included several security enhancements, including a new feature called Windows Hello that allows you to sign in to your computer using facial recognition.
Fix Wonderlands Lagging on Windows 11
These steps are specific to Windows 11 users.
Disable Core-Isolation on Windows 11
Core Isolation is a new feature built-in Windows 11 that protects your PC from untrusted applications and drivers. The tradeoff is obviously the performance. But this will not be an issue for anyone who doesn’t download anything from untrusted sites.
Here’s how you can disable it:
- Click on Start Menu button and select settings
- Click Privacy and Security > Windows Security > Device Security
- Here you will find Core Isolation, click on Core isolation details
- On the next screen, you will find a radio button for “Memory Integrity”, just turn it off.
You’ve successfully disabled VBS on Windows 11. Many users on Reddit have reported this to significantly improve performance for many games. We’re talking about improvements of about 20-30 fps straightaway.
Enable Game Mode
We’ve noticed considerable improvements in the Game Mode in Windows 11. For Windows 10, we suggest disabling both Game mode and game bar, whereas this option should be enabled on Windows 11.
To Enable: Just type game mode in search and enable it.
Use Compatibility Settings
Of course, not all the titles are optimized for the new operating system yet. This should change soon. Until then you can use Windows’s inbuilt compatibility setting. To do so:
- Right click on the app’s exe file
- Go to properties > Compatibility
- Under Settings, Locate “Disable fullscreen optimizations”, click on the checkbox
- Also, select “Run this program as an administrator”
- Click Apply and close the box.
One more thing suggested by Reddit users is doing a clean Windows 11 install, rather than upgrading it from Win 10. Also, DX12 optimized games benefit while older ones are taking a hit.
How to fix stuttering in Wonderlands
Disable Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator
This is a Microsoft service that used to cause micro stutters in Elden Ring, turns out it disabling it works for Wonderlands too.
To do so:
- Launch Device Manager, search for it using Windows Search
- Click on Software Devices to expand the list
- Locate “Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator” > Right-click and disable it as shown in the screenshot below:
Move the game to SSD or faster HDD
A Reddit user reported constant stuttering in Wonderlands, someone asked him for his specs and turns out the guy had an SSD for C Drive but the game was installed on the 5400 RPM drive. The user moved his game to the SSD and the issue was fixed.
As technology continues to evolve, so does the need for better storage. Although hard drives have been around for a while, they are quickly being replaced by solid-state drives due to their increased speed and decreased energy consumption. SSDs are more expensive than hard disks but offer many more benefits. On top of the increased speed, they also consume less power. This is one of the critical reasons SSDs are being used in so many new devices, from smartphones to computers.
Close any memory-hogging applications
Open up the task manager and check your memory and disk usage. Close all applications (non-windows) that are eating your memory and using a disk drive. If you are still stuttering with everything looking fine, you should probably wait for the hotfix update, which should be pushed out shortly.
Several memory-hungry apps can cause high RAM usage in Windows. One of the most notorious offenders is Chrome. Even when minimized, Chrome can take up a lot of system resources. Firefox and Opera also tend to use more RAM than Edge. If you’re experiencing regular crashes or slowdowns, it might be time to check your app’s resource usage and see if any of your favourites are guilty parties.
Use Process Lasso to limit CPU usage
Process Lasso is software that helps you limit the CPU usage of a particular app. Download the software and use it accordingly. I was able to drop my CPU usage by almost 20% after using the software. Also, try switching between hyperthreading on/off; this also has a considerable improvement.
These settings and optimizations were tested on PCs with the following configuration:
- i5 8500 with GTX 1060 @1080p
- i3 10300 with RTX 2060 @1080p
- i7 8700 with GTX 1650 @1080p
- AMD Ryzen 5600x with RTX 3080 @2k
I am just hoping this game doesn’t disappoint us.